On February 5, 2011, John Reynolds a loving husband and father to three young boys went into sudden cardiac arrest. Dr's determined John had suffered a cardiac arrhythmia caused by an energy drink he had consumed. Over the course of two weeks, John remained in a coma on life support where his brain continued to seize due to the lack of oxygen he suffered during his sudden cardiac arrest.
On February 17th one day before his oldest sons 9th birthday, Dr's told John's wife Cassondra, John's brain was continuing to seize causing irreversible brain damage from which he would never recover and John was declared braindead. Knowing John would not want to live in a vegetative state, Cassondra had to make the most painful and difficult decision of her life; to remove John from life support.
On February 19, 2011, John Reynolds lost his life.
In November, 2018 John's wife was asked to share her husbands story on a popular media website. John's story was quickly shared almost 400,000 times on Facebook alone. Soon John's story made #94 on the 2018 Chartbeat list of Most Engaging Stories of the year, amongst the likes of the New York Times, CNN, Washington Post, and other large media companies.
Cassondra started receiving messages from all over the world from people with similar stories. She wanted a place where she could document cases of energy drink related adverse events and deaths as well as a place to share some of the factual information about energy drinks she herself had learned since her husbands death.
She decided to start a Facebook group called Energy Drink Awareness which quickly grew. She later changed the name to Energy Drink and Pre-workout Awareness.
Having several organizations and schools reach out asking Cassondra to come and speak about the dangers of energy drink and pre-workout supplements, she was encouraged to start a nonprofit organization in order to raise awareness while utilizing a much larger platform.
September of 2019 The Awareness Project was born.
'It is forgivable to say nothing out of ignorance; it's inexcusable to remain silent once awareness dawns."
- Joshua Ferris
Raising awareness about the dangers of energy drinks and pre-workout supplements through public education and community outreach